be free

Be peace ☮ Be love ♥ Be free

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Get the government out.

Facebook just suggested that I like Will & Grace and I thought "I LOVE Will & Grace" and clicked like without hesitation. [A few minutes later I realized how cliche of them to offer that today].

I'm very happy to see all the people celebrating equality in my news feed. However, I feel a tug at my inner heart strings to share my thoughts...

One: that I wish the government had nothing to do with marriage. 

My intention is not to rain on the happiness that is all over my Facebook wall today, but I realize that might be what I'm doing, so that's I am writing this on my blog... you can leave now if you want.

I am heartbroken.

Being able to marry who you want is a personal choice. A God given right. We are all born onto this planet Earth and we all deserve to be here and have our own, personal, pursuit of happiness.

No one should have to ask for permission from the government. Asking implies you are being granted a privilege. Voluntary agreements between consenting adults should be allowed in a free society. It's time to stop asking a corrupt government for permission to do things they have no business in deciding.

Equal rights for gay marriage still doesn't mean equality for all... it means equal rights for married people. What about me? the single person? Where is my tax break for not getting married and having 12 kids? What about couples who spend lifetimes together and never marry? No privileges and no tax breaks for those who are married. It's not really equal until we are ALL equal.

[By the way.... marriage licenses were originally instituted to prevent interracial marriage... so it's safe to say we don't need them anymore.]

I don't expect anyone to agree with me, but I hope that if you read this, you'll do some research and think about things.... I didn't arrive at this conclusion overnight. I hope you'll consider asking what equal rights really means. 

In summary: people can have any kind of committed relationship they want. No need for the government to "license" (A permit from an authority to own or use something, do a particular thing, or carry on a trade) such a relationship. Government is here to protect people from things like murder... and well, murder. Everything else is a personal choice and is a-okay in a free society. 

Two: Can we all just ignore Westboro Baptist Church? Seriously. Let this be the last thing you read about them. News outlets will stop reporting on them if we stop reacting to them. We can't change them, but we can change how we react. Pretend they don't exist!! And if you aren't ready to let go yet and if you want to laugh, watch this.



NO GOVERNMENT PERMISSION SLIPS FOR MARRIAGE

"Live on and be yourself. No law's gonna change us, we have to change us. Whatever God you come from, we all come from the same one."



I welcome all comments and criticism in the comments section below or at sarahallspaw@gmail.com.


Thank you for reading. Peace and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment