be free

Be peace ☮ Be love ♥ Be free

Sunday, February 24, 2013

small talk struggle.

Making small talk is a struggle these days. I'm finding the struggle to be a combination of a few things...

One, I don't really want to make small talk. It's hard for me to stay focused on the mundane.

Two... I don't know what to even talk about.

I've distanced myself from so many mainstream things... that there is little left to talk about at times. I probably haven't seen that commercial, or that show. I don't follow the latest gossip or fad diet. I don't watch mainstream news. I'm not interested in the latest way to network up the corporate ladder. I don't have a relationship or kids to talk about it... and I can only tell so many stories about my dog.

Unless you want to strike up a philosophical conversation about consciousness or quantum physics, I'm often clueless. I get a lot of eye rolls and blank stares. It can be a bit isolating.

Music works. That's usually my go-to small talk.

I'm grateful for my (mostly) drama free life that allows for plenty of time to be spent learning, researching and over analyzing my existence. But, it's hard to relate. I'm losing the knack of small talk... something I think I used to be so good at.

I'm working on it... bear with me.

p.s. where did that expression come from? "bear with me"? I'm going to go Google... 

No comments:

Post a Comment