be free

Be peace ☮ Be love ♥ Be free

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

10,000 Steps

My work is partnering with a health program this year to lower our health care costs. Basically, if you participate in the program, you save money on your premium. Of course, I am participating at the highest level, to save the most money. There were a handful of programs to choose from, and I'm pretty excited about the one I'm in. I joined the "steps" program which challenges you to take 10,000 steps a day (4-5 miles). A pedometer will now be a permanent part of my wardrobe, which I am not crazy about...but, I figure, I work 40 hours a week and other people will be wearing them at work and other times I can keep it in a pocket or in my purse and it will work just as well. I'm sure I'll get used to it and take it everywhere like I do my phone.


I've heard many times before that taking 10,000 steps a day is what is recommended to stay healthy and it's never sounded that hard to do. However, up until the last year or so, I've had a pretty active lifestyle just by accident. I spent my childhood being active at school and in sports. I walked all over campus for four years in college. Then I worked 3 part time jobs which, for the most part, kept me on my feet. Now I work in an office and sit for a good 8 hours a day. Saying that (or typing that) aloud just sounds like a gross pile of fat accumulating on my body. The bottom line is, I'm going to have to work to get my 10,000 steps a day. I think I could get about 4,000-5,000 without really trying and 10,000 on days I go to the gym...but that's not enough anymore. I want 10,000 steps. Everyday.

I got my pedometer in the mail yesterday. Today I planned on wearing it and seeing what a completely inactive day was like. I planned to take the elevator all day, and keep Bella's walks short-as if it was pouring rain in the middle of winter (I hate walking those days). I just wanted to see what a minimal day would be steps-wise.

But, I'm already feeling anxious and took a walk a 10 minute walk at work. I took the stairs instead of the elevator. I got home before dark so I could take Bella on a long walk around the neighborhood.

I think this is going to be a good challenge for me! I'm anxious to see if I can get 70,000 steps every week. I have to record my steps weekly, so I can't cheat. Someone will know if I skip the gym. Someone will know if I take a nap instead of a walk.

This is going to be good. Progress results coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment