be free

Be peace ☮ Be love ♥ Be free

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

howl

I'm working on training Bella to use a radar invisible fence system. It's perfect for apartment living because it sends out a radio signal in a circle around the device instead of having to bury a wire in the ground. So, tonight was the first night I let Bella off the leash and risked her getting shocked. Unfortunately, when I did this, the two dogs that live next door were out and Bella ran after them and learned the hard way. She slowly but surely understood that she had to come to me for safety. I hope I never had to watch her get shocked again because it was horrible. BUT I'd rather see that then see her get hit by a car which could easily happen where we live if she accidentally gets out. Also, I don't want to have to chain her up all the time. So, hopefully she'll remember and quickly be trained to stay within 40 feet of the house!

She was put to the test tonight when a coyote came into the back yard. Bella stayed by the back door and then when he got closer, she ran a few feet and chased him off. Then I was able to get her to come inside. It was a stressful minute or two because I really didn't know what was going to happen. I did know the last thing I wanted to see was her to run after the thing and start to get shocked and appear weak to the coyote. Thank God she didn't go too far and was safe. She only seemed interested in chasing the coyote away, hopefully it stays that way. I think the dog training needs to happen before dusk from now on...the coyotes usually don't come around until it's dark...at least I don't think they do. I'm not a fan of the coyotes. They are known to eat little puppies and kittens and lure the bigger dogs away to join their pack. I don't want to even think about that happening! She'll be going on the chain if she goes out again tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment