be free

Be peace ☮ Be love ♥ Be free

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Shepard Fairey

Cincinnati has a decent reputation when it comes to art and performing art, at least I've always thought so. It's a pretty creative city.

I don't know much about why Los Angeles artist, Shepard Fairey choose Cincinnati to put murals up in, and I don't know what other cities he has done this in. I think to most people he is most well known for the poster he made during the Obama campaign, the famous "Hope" poster. I know that was on buildings in Chicago. You can read about him on wikipedia and see the poster here.

His street art comes with a huge amount of political propaganda, not all of which I agree with. However, he has some powerful messages in these images that can now be found on buildings throughout the city. I think it's pretty awesome. I can't wait to go see the rest of his show "Supply and Demand" at the Contemporary Arts Center. My friend Julie was in town last night and we drove around and saw most of the ones in the city last night and today.

I can't wait to go see the exhibit at the CAC. I am sad I missed the grand opening on Friday when Shepard was there, but he'll be back May 22nd, and you can bet I won't miss that!





No comments:

Post a Comment