be free

Be peace ☮ Be love ♥ Be free

Sunday, December 27, 2009

2009

It only feels right to spend the last week before the New Year reflecting on the past year. 2009 was a great year for me and I want to remember a few details.

I rang in the New Year in Los Angeles. I had planned to go out to a party down the street, but after an exhausting week in Cincy, I was super jet lagged. Once I realized my super obnoxious roommate (Josh) was going to be gone for the night, I decided to stay in. I think I was awake until midnight, I actually don't remember for sure. I talked to everyone in the midwest at 9pm my time and think I just celebrated that as my new year too.

February came quickly and I spent the first weekend in Seattle with Allie and Andi. I had never been to Seattle, and I have always wanted to go. We had so much fun sight seeing and just goofing off all the time. I got to visit with my aunt and uncle who live there too, which was great. That was also the weekend of fire hair--that will forever be embedded in my head (literally-I think I have a weird cowlick thing as a result). We had a lot of fun and I'd take a weekend like that over a fancy vacation any day.

Mid February my mom came out to visit me in LA. I played tour guide and we hit all the fun tourist spots. We went to the beach, Runyon Canyon, Hollywood and Highland, The Grove...all the good stuff. It was a lot of fun to show off a city I felt I had gotten the hang of in a few short months.

March turned a huge corner. My temp job had extended my contract from 3 months temporary, to temp-to-hire in February, so I was feeling pretty good with my job security. Mid March, I got the dreaded "budget cut" lay off and that was that. I was disappointed and relieved at the same time. I frantically started the job search and had a few decent offers. However, my heart just wasn't in LA anymore. I didn't love the city. It cost a lot and I had no real reason to live there except for my love of the sun and the beach. So, I packed it up headed home. Andi had planned a trip to come see me the end of March, so I had to wait for her visit...but as soon as she left, I was outta there. I drove from Los Angeles to Cincinnati all by myself, with my dog and all my belongings. I stopped for a few days in Denver to visit Laura and had a great time there.

When I got home I started to work for my dad right away. Doing odds and ends to make some money. I took on a landscaping job that I took a lot of pride in-I had never really done anything like that. I started my job search in Cincinnati before I even left LA and applied for a few jobs I was really interested in. Something must have been working in my favor, because before I could even follow up on the one interesting job, I got an email from HR. That lead to weeks of interviews and to the job I have now. I love my job. I started my new job in mid May and spent the summer catching up on bills while living with my mom.

My sister was home for the summer, so we had a great time taking the dogs to the park, hanging out and just catching up. I wish she hadn't moved back to Denver, but I plan to visit soon!

I started to look for an apartment once I got my job and only had a few things I really wanted: hardwood floors, some kind of outdoor space (yard, patio, balcony) and I wanted at least two rooms (not a studio) that didn't cost a fortune. Oh, and I wanted a decent location. Well, I got it all. I moved into my apartment in August. I have a great apartment in a great location. It's big, has hardwood floors and a deck/balcony. Bella adjusted quickly and doesn't freak out when I leave anymore.

I spent the first week of September in Oregon for Allie's wedding. It was a beautiful wedding and I loved all the friends and family she has in her new life out there. Anne and I made quite the trip out being bridesmaids and spent the week sightseeing in Oregon. What a gorgeous state.

Those were the major things I did this year. I guess another big thing was I turned 25. I dreaded it a lot because it felt so old...but after it happened I was so relieved because I felt like I had all this time until the next milestone. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be! I'm really enjoying being 25.

I really can't think of anything bad that happened this year. I guess it's all in the way you look at things...

Everyone always says cheers to the new year and I can't wait to see what 2010 has in store for me. I know it's going to be great. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment